In this guide, you will find everything you need to know of Costa Rica, and to prepare for the trip of your dreams.
Since Nov. 1, Costa Rica has allowed all countries in the world to enter by air, as long as they meet the country’s visa and COVID-19 entry requirements.
The Government of the Republic has facilitated the entry of international tourists, and since Oct. 26, eliminated the requirement of RT-PCR tests for the detection of the coronavirus. Neither Costa Ricans nor foreigners will be issued sanitary confinement (or quarantine) orders when entering the country by air. These measures are subject to change and dependent on the evolution of the pandemic both in Costa Rica and around the world.
Tourists visiting Costa Rica are asked to abide by the sanitary protocols implemented for carrying out all tourist activities in the country.
The following requirements remain during the pandemic:
- Complete the digital form called HEALTH PASS and available at https://salud.go.cr
This pass will be available 48 hours before boarding. It must be accessed in an updated browser (except for Internet Explorer). An individual form must be completed for every person, including minors.
- Purchase health insurance
It is mandatory that tourists purchase travel insurance (it can be international or purchased in Costa Rica), covering their accommodations in case of quarantine and medical expenses due to COVID-19 illness. Minimum medical expenses equivalent to the costs of being admitted to a hospital for the time required and a minimum of 14-day coverage for lodging expenses. An explanation of one’s travel insurance coverage, addressing Costa Rica’s requirements, must be uploaded or entered into the HEALTH PASS in order to be reviewed and approved by the Costa Rican authorities. If more information on international insurance is needed, the Costa Rican authorities will contact the passenger at the email address indicated in the HEALTH PASS.
- Comply with all the protocols established at the airport
Regarding travel insurance
Local insurance for travelers are offered by the National Insurance Institute (INS) http://www.grupoins.com/seguroparaviajeros and by the insurance company Sagicor http://www.sagicor.cr/seguro_para_turistas/
In the case of International Insurance, the tourist must request from their insurer a certification issued in English or Spanish, noting at least three conditions, without forgetting to add it to the HEALTH PASS:
1. Validity of the effective policy during the visit in Costa Rica.
2. Guarantee of coverage for medical expenses in cases of pandemic disease COVID 19 in Costa Rica, for at least US $50,000 (fifty thousand dollars of the United States of America).
3. Minimum coverage of US $2,000 for extended lodging expenses due to pandemic illness or trip interruption/cancellation due to illness, which covers the extra cost of the passenger due to quarantine.
General entry requirements for the country For information on visas, refer to the General Directorate of Migration and Foreigners: https://www.migracion.go.cr/Paginas/Visas.aspx
PERSONAL COVID-19 PROTOCOL IN PUBLIC PLACES
• Do not touch your face with dirty hands.
• Use of a mask.
• Keep a 1.8 meter distance from people other than your travel social bubble.
• To accept your temperature be taken when entering establishments.